Plant BLOOME 2023
The ASPB Plant Biology Learning Objectives, Outreach Materials & Education Grant
Applications will be accepted February 15, 2023- April 3, 2023 (11:59 PM ET)
Program Summary: In 1995 ASPB established this grant program (the name changed over time) with the goal to enhance public awareness and understanding of the essential roles of plants in all areas of life.
New focus for 2023! Plant BLOOME 2023 grant applications will open February 15 with the specific goal of developing education and outreach projects that can be implemented in K–12 classrooms to advance student and teacher knowledge and appreciation of plant biology. Applications may be submitted by current or future ASPB members.
Successful proposals will create and disseminate classroom activities to use in K-12 classrooms or first-year undergraduate courses. Preference is given to activities that focus on K-12 students. The proposed classroom activities/labs must include the following elements:
- Clearly stated learning outcomes that explicitly align with one or more of the four categories of Principles for Teaching Plant Biology
- All information needed to execute the activity/lab with students
- A clear assessment plan for the stated learning outcomes
The proposed activities should be developed in a format that can be readily distributed to educators online or at in-person conferences or outreach events and should not require highly specialized equipment or technical expertise. Funded projects will be featured on the ASPB website and will be disseminated to teachers at national meetings and outreach events.
Basic Funding Logistics: A maximum award size of $7,000 can be requested for the one-year funding cycle. Projects can begin any time after recipients are notified. Funds are released by mid-August and should be spent by the anniversary date, September 2, 2024. In special cases a no-cost extension may be approved (request deadline August 1, 2024).
Request for Proposal (RFP) Overview: This is a summary of key elements. The full RFP with complete application requirements and guidelines can be downloaded here.
The grant proposal is limited to 6 pages total:
- Introduction (1 page)
- Project Description (3 pages)
- Project elements to be reviewed include: goals and objectives, project details, and expected outcomes and evaluation
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (1 page)
- Itemized Budget (1 page)
Examples of Successful Past Proposals- Please note that Plant BLOOME application requirements change from year to year. View the 2023 RFP to ensure your application follows the current guidelines.
- An Inquiry-Based Module for Exploring Student Conceptions of Plant Circadian Rhythms, Gene Expression, and Defense Against Insects
- Plant GIFTS (Genetics In Farming Technology and Science)
- Shining a Light on ‘Plant Blindness’: Using Kenneth Oppel's Young Adult Novel Bloom as a Motivating Tool for Teaching Plant Science to First-Year Undergraduate Students
View example final report guidelines here.
ASPB Education Coordinator
15501 Monona Drive
Rockville, MD 20855