Plant BLOOME 2018
The ASPB Plant Biology Learning Objectives, Outreach Materials & Education Grant
RFP for 2018 coming in November 2017
Applications will be accepted December 1, 2017 - April 2, 2018 (11:59 ET)
Maximum Funding: $50,000
2016 Average Award Size: $35,550
~not all PIs requested max funding
Program Summary: In 1995 ASPB established this grant program (the name changed over time) with the goal to enhance public awareness and understanding of the essential roles of plants in all areas of life.
Plant BLOOME 2018 is open to ASPB members with education and outreach projects that advance youth, student, and general public knowledge and appreciation of plant biology. These projects should strive to promote and explain varying facets of the:
- Importance of plants for the sustainable production of medicine, food, fibers, and fuels;
- Critical role plants play in sustaining functional ecosystems in changing environments;
- Latest developments in plant biotechnologies, including genetic modifications that improve the quality and disease- and stress-resistance of crops;
- Discoveries made in plants that have led to improved human health and wellbeing; and
- Range of careers related to plant biology or available to plant biologists.
Parameters for Proposals: Plant BLOOME does NOT support lab or field plant science research projects. Priority will be given to education and outreach projects with goals that include, but are not limited to the development, implementation, wide dissemination and evaluation of:
- Innovative instructional materials or strategies in K-12 or undergraduate settings, science centers and museums, after-school science clubs, etc.;
- Professional development about plant biology for educators (e.g., teachers, museum educators, 4-H agents);
- Professional development about education and outreach for plant biologists and plant biologists in training;
- Educational exhibits or displays in science museums, science centers, libraries, and other public venues;
- Multimedia educational resources such as radio or video pieces, websites, applications for electronic devices ('apps'), and animations; and
- Education and outreach collaborations between plant biologists and educators.
Suggested Standards: Successful projects will align with current effective scientific teaching practices such as Vision and Change recommendations,Core Concepts and Learning Objectives for Plant Biology,12 Principles of Plant Biology, or Next Generation Science Standards.
Basic Funding Logistics: A maximum award size of $50,000 can be requested for the one-year funding cycle. Projects can begin any time after recipients are notified. Funds are released by mid-August and should be spent by the anniversary date, September 2, 2019. In special cases a no-cost extension may be approved (request deadline August 1, 2019).
The grant proposal is limited to 8 pages total:
- Introduction (1 page)
- Project Description (5 pages)
Project Elements to be reviewed include: goals and measurable objectives, methods and approaches, anticipated outcomes, evaluation plan, dissemination plan, sustainability, and references.
- PI(s) Statement of education/outreach experience and expertise (1 page)
- Itemized Budget (1 page)
ASPB Education Coordinator
15501 Monona Drive
Rockville, MD 20855